Q1 2013: Restaurants, Movies
Discover has not yet announced what the specific categories will be for the rest of 2013. But based on the information currently on the Discover website, these are my guesses as to what they will be:
Q2 2013 (Spring Style): Home Improvement Stores
Q3 2013 (Summer Fun): Gas Stations
Q4 2013 (Holiday Shopping): Online Shopping purchases
For 2012, Discover offered 5% back on "movies" every season, so they might continue to do that in 2013. You should always use your Discover card if you are at the movies.
It is also worth mentioning that Discover Card is currently highly promoting their brand new "Discover it" card. Here are the bullet points that I know of for the Discover it card.
- No annual fee.
- 100% U.S. based customer service available any time.
- No late fee for your first late payment.
- Paying late won't increase your APR.
- No overlimit fee.
- No foreign transaction fee.
- 5% cash back in categories that change each quarter offered to all cardmembers.
- Unlimited 1% cash back, not points, on all other purchases.
- Pay for millions of items with your rewards at Amazon.com.
- Pay your bill 'til midnight (ET) the day it's due by phone or online.
- Choose your payment due date online or by phone.
- Lower rate, lower payment or other help after job loss.
- Automatic expedited delivery of your new card.